Sunday, April 18, 2010

Playing with Fondue

One of the things that I love playing at is birthday cakes. CJ's birthdays have been a real journey for me and I have learned a lot. From his first birthday, a monkey theme, I learned that trying to be Martha as a beginner will only lead to disappointments and tears.

In the end it was only Keith who though is was the head of a bear, everyone else guessed it was a monkey. I learned never to make the cake the morning of the party.


So then came CJ's second birthday and the train theme. It has been my favorite masterpiece so far, beautiful to look at and remember. But I was late to the party because of the cake! Even when I made all the cakes just days before. I learned that the icing can be made ahead of time as well as the cake.


 Then for his third birthday I was eight months pregnant with Liz and didn't want any stressful mishaps. So I made the cake and frosting ahead of time. I learned that it takes longer than an hour to assemble and decorate a cup cake creation. (For me anyway)


Now we come to CJ's fourth birthday in a few weeks, I can't believe my little man is going to be four!!!! He's all about flying so we're going to have an Up In the Air party (btw anyone who reads this is invited) the morning of his birthday. Once again I want to try something ambitious but this time I want to use all I have learned as well as some fore thinking. 
 
So I talked to Stevie who was familiar with marshmallow fondant and we spent a Monday afternoon and Tuesday night making a marshmallow rice crispy bee covered in marshmallow fondant. 


I love the way it turned out! From this I learned that a birthday cake can be made the day before, in its entirety, and that's what I plan to do. Stay tuned for how birthday cake #4 turns out!

4 comments:

  1. ok, what is the 3rd birthday cake? i couldn't figure that one out. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen such a great-looking bumblebee! ;)

    That train is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Rocket from Little Einstein's. I know it's a stretch, but refer to the monkey head for my mad skills. PS, can you tell how tired I was when I bloged this? I meant playing with fondant, not fondue :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great cakes! That's just not my thing so I admire those who can do it.

    ReplyDelete